Women’s varsity tennis wins regionals

0
390

By Bryce Becker

In her singles match, Megan King, junior, saves the ball from a difficult serve. Photo by Izzie Thornley.

Last week, women’s varsity tennis started off with a 15-3 victory against Spring Valley in their home match on Wednesday, Oct. 3. Freshman Paige Furin and Junior Megan King earned 3-0 in their round of doubles. The Cougars took a 14-4 home game win over Sierra Vista on Thursday, Oct. 4. Sophomores Ava Nhaisi and Sidra Wohlwend won their doubles match 2-0 along with senior Jessica Duff and junior Mana Iritani’s 3-0 doubles win.

“I feel like winning those matches gave us the momentum and boosted our confidence going into the finals,” Nhaisi said.

The win streak did not stop there as they won 14-4 versus Bishop Gorman on Friday, Oct. 5. Freshman Kennedy Buntrock helped the Cougs to victory, earning 1-0 in her round of singles. They played their final game at Bishop Gorman on Saturday, Oct. 6, and the Cougars competition was Palo Verde. With wins in their singles matches 3-0, sophomore Maddie Smith and junior Blythe Buntrock lead Coronado to a 13-5 win for the regional title.

“I feel like throughout the season, our team has really became close, and we cheer for everybody and support one another, and it’s a really great thing to see and be apart of,” Sofia Alvarez, 10, said. “I’m preparing for state by taking this week very serious and constantly improving my game for what’s to come in state.”

SHARE
Previous articleLast week in sports
Next articleNetflix Originals cause mixed emotions
Bryce Becker, sports editor, is a sophomore. He is from Del Webb Middle School, and wrote for “The Wrangler,” his middle school newspaper. He loves writing sports and news pieces. Bryce’s favorite pastime is soccer. He hopes to attend college and play soccer professionally. Bryce has two more years of high school to look forward to and hopes to enjoy every moment.